In the United Kingdom, Winter is the season for hot chocolate,time spent with friends and family and generally trying to stay warm and dry at home. For those of us who love saving energy, the winter season also means that there are many ways to save money by conserving energy. Check out these top 10 energy saving tips for the home to help save on spiraling energy costs in your home.
- Instead of making use of the standby function most devices are shipped with these days, switch off all your appliances at the plug. This can account for 6% of all energy usage in the home, nearly all electrical and electronic appliances can safely be turned off at the plug without upsetting their systems.
- Switch your microwave off. The clock may be using more energy over time than is used for cooking. It will cost far less buying a cheap battery powered wall clock, if you really need to know the time.
- If you prefer to leave your desktop or laptop computers on ready for use, ensure that you make use of the Hibernate or standby feature. Ensuring that you also switch off your peripherals i.e. Printers, Scanners & monitors at the mains.
- Make use of your Sleep Timer or Count down timer on your TV sets, to ensure that they switch off when not in use.
- Switch off your Electirc blankets at the mains before falling asleep, not only is this for your own personal safety but it ensures
- Replace your existing appliances for more energy efficient ones. Most new appliances will have a sticker indicating how they are rated.
- Try and ensure that you make use of your Dishwasher and washing machines during low tarrif times, say after midnight.
- Always use your washing machine with a full load or follow the manufacturer’s instructions for most economical usage such as the economy program. Modern washing machines and washing powders and liquids are designed to work at lower temperatures.
- Only boil half a kettle of water and use an energy saving kettle
- Timed heating – don’t leave the heating on unnecessarily at night or when you are out of the house. Set the timing for the heating and water to turn on an hour before you wake or return home and to switch off an hour before you leave the house.
Denizon's product line successfully integrate IoT, Artificial Intelligence and Blockchain technology to enable efficient, productive, secure and scalable solutions to help organisations address increasing energy demands, ecological impact and Health & Safety concerns of their staff.